Make a Call

 What You Need to Know Before Getting Motorhome Insurance

What You Need to Know Before Getting Motorhome Insurance

If you’re interested in living on the road and travelling for the holidays, you can consider purchasing a motorhome. But it’s essential you know everything it takes to own and drive one—especially if you plan to take it out to the open road.

Since it’s used for dual purposes—both for travelling and living in it—having a motorhome will require you to own insurance explicitly made for it. Keep reading below to find out what to know before getting a particular motorhome insurance policy.

Know the Home Vehicle You Need

There are different kinds of home vehicles you can purchase to start living on the road, the most common of which are campervans and motorhomes. While they are both used for travelling and living purposes, they still have their differences.

With a campervan, you acquire a smaller space which can provide you with your basic needs, including sleeping, bathing, and cooking. While many people tend to purchase a van or car insurance for their campervans, they end up losing the benefits that more extensive policies can provide.

Meanwhile, a motorhome is used for travelling and living purposes. The vehicle comes in a wide array of sizes and has permanent fixtures installed to accommodate your essentials. Because of that, the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) considers motorhomes as motor caravans, thus requiring owners to get specialised insurance policies for it.  

Determine the Required License

Having a motorhome will oblige you to own a special license to drive it legally, but it will depend on the size of your home vehicle and your age. A motorhome with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of 3.5 to 7.5 tonnes will require you to present a C1 license, while any motorhome greater than that will need you to have a C license.

If you had taken and passed your driving exam before January 1, 1997, then it grants you with a C1 license—allowing you to drive a motorhome that weighs up to 7.5 tonnes. For those who had taken it after, then you’ve only got a B or B1 licence, meaning you can only drive vehicles that are less than 3.5 tonnes. To drive a motorhome larger than that, then you may take an additional exam to be granted the C1 category to your license.

Acquire the Right Insurance

A motorhome will need different insurance coverages because they aren’t used the same way as cars are. 

If you plan on taking it on public roads, then you will need a motorhome breakdown cover to address the requirements of the law. But if you won’t use your motorhome for travelling, then you won’t be required to purchase insurance, but rather, you will have to apply for a Statutory Off-Road Notification (SORN).

Note: An off-road motorhome means your home vehicle is kept in a garage or storage, or on your driveway or private property.   

Be Familiar With Your Motorhome Insurance Coverage

Your motorhome insurance coverage will depend on its use, including how you’ll be driving your motor caravan. If you’re going to use it to travel to work and back home, you will need commuting insurance. If you’re using it for non-work related reasons, it’s considered social, domestic, and pleasure insurance. 

In addition, a motorhome driven for other business purposes, involving meetings and events, will be categorised under personal business insurance. Knowing your reason will help you apply for the proper motorhome insurance. 


Whether you’re planning to get a motorhome so you can drive it on public roads or keep it in your storage, motorhome insurance protects you from unwanted incidents. Before you buy a motorhome, you should know the vehicle you need, acquire the correct license and insurance, and familiarise yourself with your motorhome coverage. 

Are you looking for a provider of static caravan insurance in the UK to secure your motorhome needs? Frank Pickles Insurance is dedicated to providing affordable and reliable static caravan and motorhome insurance coverages. Get in touch today to get a quote!